Play First Lunch
- Published: Monday, July 21, 2014
Washington Elementary School will be moving to a new lunch schedule for the 2014-15 school year. Recess will be held before lunch for each grade level; “Play first and then eat”.
The “Play First Lunch” schedule has been implemented by many schools throughout the United States with many benefits including:
- Improved student behavior on the playground and in the classroom
- Fewer accidents during the lunch break
- Students are more relaxed and focused on eating rather than thinking about getting outside to play
- Less litter on the school ground and inside the school
- More food eaten; increased fluid intake
- Students return to the classroom much quicker and are settled and ready to learn
Before eating lunch, students will be dismissed to the playground to play, followed by a transition time to enter the cafeteria and then sit down to lunch.
TK - 1st: 11:20 am to 12:05 pm with recess from 11:20 am to 11:40 am and lunch from 11:40 am to 12:05 pm
2nd - 3rd: 11:55 am to 12:40 pm with recess from 11:55 am to 12:15 pm and lunch from 12:15 pm to 12:40 pm
4th - 5th: 12:25 pm to 1:10 pm with recess from 12:25 pm to 12:45 pm and lunch from 12:45 pm to 1:10 pm
We hope that the “Play First Lunch” schedule will promote healthy eating and improve student achievement. Schools who have tried this schedule change have found that students are hungrier and thirstier at school. To prevent your child from becoming too hungry, encourage them to eat a healthy breakfast and send a midmorning snack. All students can eat breakfast for free at school and pick up a snack for recess time.
If you have any questions or comments about this new schedule, please contact Washington Elementary School at 441-2547.