Town Hall Meetings on K-8 Reorganization
- Published: Wednesday, February 1, 2012
At the November 5, 2011 board meeting, staff presented the Board with options for reorganizing K-8. Reorganization is being considered to create more room because for the first time in many years Eureka City Schools kindergarten through 3rd grade enrollment is increasing. Additional room may also be needed beginning in 2012-13, because Education Code will require districts offer a “transitional kindergarten” program for students whose admission would be delayed because of the Kindergarten Readiness Act of 2010. This Act gradually increases the age for admission into kindergarten over a four-year period.
At the November 16, 2011 board meeting, the Board agreed to give consideration to the following reorganization options:
- 1. A pre-school, transitional-kindergarten, kindergarten, and 1st grade on one site and 2nd through 6th on three sites.
- 2. Paired buddy schools with kindergarten through 3rd grade on two sites and 4th through 6th grade on two sites.
- 3. Kinder-garten through 5th grade on four sites and 6th,7th, and 8th grade at Zane.
- 4. Kindergarten through 6th grade on four sites, and a 6th grade by parental choice and 7th and 8th grade at Winship. (The “sites” refer to the four elementary schools unless noted).
The Board and staff would like to hear from parents and the community regarding these options. The following town hall meetings have been scheduled for input:
- February 7, 5:30-6:30 p.m. @ Grant Elementary, 3901 G Street, Eureka
- February 7, 6:45-7:45 p.m. @ Washington Elementary, 3322 Dolbeer Street, Eureka
- February 9, 5:15-6:00 p.m. @ Lafayette Elementary, 3100 Park Street, Eureka
- February 16, 5:30-6:45 p.m. @ Alice Birney Elementary, 717 South Avenue, Eureka