Eureka City Schools Call For Applicants For School Board Trustee to Area 2

The resignation of Lisa Pace, Eureka City Schools Board of Education Trustee to Area 2, creates an opening for a new board member.  Eureka City Schools Governing Board will appoint a new member per Education Code 5091, 5093, and registered voters residing in Area 2 are invited to apply.

Trustee Area 2 includes areas within the City of Eureka and unincorporated areas to the east and southeast of Eureka.  Within the City of Eureka, Trustee Area 2 lies approximately between “J” Street and Harrison Avenue, south to Carson Street.  The unincorporated areas of Trustee Area 2 begin at Ryan Slough on Myrtle Avenue and extend east and north to the vicinity of Indianola Road.  This portion of Area 2 includes Upper Mitchell Road, Lower Mitchell Road, Pigeon Point Road, Freshwater Road, Kneeland Road, and Greenwood Heights Road.  Rural portions of Trustee Area 2 include areas east and southeast of Eureka serviced by upper Fickle Hill Road, Butler Valley Road, Mountain View Road, Showers Pass Road, and Tom Shaw Road.  A map is available at the district office.

Prior to applying, please officially verify residency by contacting the Humboldt County Elections Office at 445-7481 or 3033 H Street, Room 20, Eureka.

In order to apply, interested applicants must submit a resume and letter explaining their qualifications to the Superintendent at Eureka City Schools District Office, 3200 Walford Avenue by 4:00 p.m. on Monday, April 4, 2011.  Names of applicants will be published in the “Times-Standard” on April 8, 9, and 10, 2011. 

At a special meeting on April 12, 2011, at 5:30 p.m., applicants will be interviewed in a public meeting.  Each applicant will be asked to make a personal statement and answer questions from the Board and members of the audience.  The Board will vote after the interviews are complete, and the successful applicant will be seated at the May 4, 2011 regular meeting.

The Board of Education views Board service as a voluntary contribution to the community and elects not to receive compensation.  Board members may participate in the health and welfare benefits program provided for district employees.

If you have questions, please contact the Superintendent’s office at 441-2414.