Substitute Teacher Instructions

We are in need of Substitute Teachers in the Eureka City Schools District. Effective August 2019, our daily rate is $125 for regular substitute teachers, $135 for long-term substitute teachers, and $150 for retired ECS teachers . We add substitutes to our current list by appointment only. The following list is what Eureka City Schools needs to sign you up to be a Day-to-Day Substitute Teacher in our District. Please call the Personnel Office (707-441-3380) to schedule an appointment to sign up as a substitute teacher. If you reach a voice mail please leave your name and telephone number, and the Personnel Office will call you to schedule the appointment.

Please bring the following to your appointment:

  • A Completed Eureka City Schools' Certificated Application Form
  • Your Résumé
  • Two Letters of Recommendation. They do not need to be specific to this application; we accept copies of those previously used,
  • A Copy of Your Credential or Emergency Permit,
  • TB Test Results (within the last 60 days for initial placement. TB tests are also available through our District).
  • Your valid Driver's License,
  • Your original Social Security Card.

NOTE: You are eligible to apply for an Emergency Permit if you have a 4-year degree and have passed a CBEST test. Contact the Humboldt County Office of Education, 707-445-7039, to apply for an Emergency Permit.

Student Teachers: All student teachers must complete the same requirements as indicated above in the Substitute Teacher section before being eligible to substitute for their mentor teachers.